Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lots of Love from Sukau

Since I've been going to field quite frequently I'm gonna stop the "Day 1:..." etc. entries. I mean, twice is more than enough. Besides, there's nothing new to write about apart from driving around or riding in the boat.

Just some 'updates':

Yours truly drove in an oil palm plantation yesterday, which sounds awesome but then it's Lam Soon's plantation so the roads are really well managed. In other words, it wasn't those crazy muddy rocky off-road kind of extreme stuff.

Also, the boat ride today was good. Although it's another 6-hours ride, this time the boat has a nice cushy seat, and a roof!!! Claire and I had it good :) We had so much leg space, and the villagers were so so nice. We didn't even need to carry our stuff into the boats because they did it for us. Then Hjh. Minah (the lady who's in charge of boat rentals and stuff) handed us a bag filled with canned drinks, two bottles of water, two bags of nuts, and a packet of biscuits "just in case we get peckish". She also handed us a parang, a machete. And there was this old man who was assuring us that the rivers around that area are safe.

Anyway, since I have the chance to get online out here in the field, I thought I'd update my blog just to show you guys out there that it's not that 'ulu' out here. I'm now typing this in the Pusat Jalur Lebar Komuniti (Community Broadband Center) in Sukau. The wi-fi here is good, and all I need to do is bring my lappy along and pay them RM1.50 for an hour of usage. And they have air-con :) It's really good to see that places like these are providing their community with the internet. Plus there's a guy here with an iPhone...

I don't know where I'll be next and when will I be online properly again. So till then, here's a gorgeous pic I took of Sukau at dawn.

x's and o's to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment