Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Almost-End of Every-Four-Years Football

I think I have not written an entry regarding the mega-hyped world-stage football competition, so since it's coming to a close soon (and we can all rest easy till 2014), I thought I'd share some of my World Cup 'fun' since it started.

That and also I somehow woke up early and can't go back to sleep :P

So, firstly there is Paul the Psychic Octopus, whom everyone has been either skeptical of, or smitten with, till he chose Spain over Germany. Then everyone didn't want to believe him. Then they lost. Then they started talking about Sushi. Poor Paul...all he did was choose the mussel from the winner's box.

And then there's me, but then you don't see any hype over me, do you? Maybe that's because I am not a cephalopod mollusk, and I do not have eight extremities. But I have been right all these while. So far in every match, the team I've rooted for has won.

For the record:
  • The Dutch Oranges' victory over the Japanese Sushi earned me a dinner.
  • The German Bratwurts' triumph over the Argentinian Sunshines won me RM30. (I was right about the English Muffins too, but unfortunately, I didn't make anyone bet with me.)
  • The Red Fury's trouncing of the German Bratwurts got me a RM50 shopping spree.
  • The worst was the tie between the Portuguese Cherries with the Brazillian Bananas.
  • And of course the time when I was conned into betting on the Uruguay Sunbeams over the Dutch Oranges, although I have specifically said that I was rooting for them Oranges.
OctoPaul ain't that awesome, you know. However, I do refer to him occasionally. So, what's my take on the Finals? I hope I don't jinx it by blogging about it, but I bet everyone know by now that I am always a supporter of the Spanish Red Fury. They are the only team that I have not given any ridiculous names to.


Rafa says: We Matadors are going to tame those Orange Bulls*!


*Anyone ever noticed that the Dutch plays really rough? So carabaos, I tell you...hence the bull metaphor.


¡La Furia Roja va a ganar!


No comments:

Post a Comment