Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Day 3 : The AMNH

14 July 2014

I love museums, and the ones found in the Big Adventure are some of the creme de la creme of museums worldwide. First up is the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. 

It even has its own Subway station
I never imagined I would ever get to visit the place where exhibits come to life after hours, but here I am! Even better, we have complimentary tickets, thanks to Luv's corporate benefits. We spent close to 6 hours in there (would be longer, if they practice later summer closing times) and yet I did not finish everything.

Theodore Roosevelt greets everyone on the front steps of the Museum
Unlike the movie, Rexy doesn't greet you in the main concourse, but Bronty does! Finally, after 6 years since Berlin, I get to see dinosaur (bones) again! 


Since museums are all about showing, let me share with less words, more photos! There are just too many, so I will share my favourites (in no particular order):

Olmec head, cast of original from Vera Cruz
This reminds me of this old show on Nickelodeon aeons ago - Legends of the Hidden Temple. They called the big talking head Olmec.

Tzolkin, the Mayan calendar
I first came across the Tzolkin in ND6 Secret of the Scarlet Hand (SSH). And of course in 2012 this was a big deal, being the "predictor" of the end of days. So cool to see one up close.

More things that I recognize from SSH. Who says computer games are not educational?

Mayan tablet with glyphs
King Pacal
(I think it is him,they all look the same to me)
A replica of a Mayan ruler's tomb

Shrunken heads
Remember the talking heads on the Knight Bus (Prisoner of Azkaban)?

This sacrificial altar
Because I just NEED to show you this.

This big prehistoric mammal

This triceratops skeleton

Hello Rexy!

One wildlife diorama (out of the many)

The Heilbrunn Cosmic Pathway at the Rose Center for Earth and Space

Hall of Biodiversity!!!

The Blue Whale in the Hall of Ocean Life

This diorama of turtles and Portuguese Man O' War 'cos just too cool

This showcase of Giant Squid vs Sperm Whale

This beautiful display of a Nautilus in prehistoric seas

'sup, Theodore?

Our initial plan was to walk through Central Park to the east side and get to the Met. For some unknown reason (and bad navigational sense) we ended up several blocks north of AMNH, still on the west side. So instead of the Met, we found The Dakota! 

In Super Special #6, half of the BSC lived here
with the Cummings'
We also stumbled upon the Historical Society Museum, and guess who's there?

Miss Clavel and the girls in two straight lines
(the smallest one was Madeline)

Peek-a-boo with Honest Abe

We ended the day in NYC with some inadvertent romance: dinner on a park bench, sharing an umbrella, in the rain. Yes, we got caught in one of those unpredictable NYC showers, but it was just perfect. When I was in my teens, I imagined one of the most romantic things to do is to walk in the rain with the one you love. So it was just wonderful that I got to do it with Luv in good ol' New York City.

Tomorrow: I stumble upon treasure in a basement! Stay tuned!

♥,

No comments:

Post a Comment