Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 2 : Kickin' back in suburbia

13 July 2014

Luv thought I should just take it easy on my first Sunday in the States, so it was going to be a relaxing non-touristy day. However, thanks to the jet lag, I was up at 6:00 am and decided to tidy up his apartment because he is a slob I have nothing better to do at that time.

Luv's company gave him this really nice apartment in Morristown, New Jersey, right smack in the middle of the little town, next to the Green. And most places (except his workplace and Shop Rite) is within walking distance from his place. At the end of my trip, I think one of my favourite place is good ol' historical Morristown. 

"Morristown has been called "the military capital of the American Revolution" because of its strategic role in the war for independence from Great Britain." - Wikipedia

Morning jogger with flag honouring heroes of something.

We began the day with a walk in the town, followed by breakfast al fresco at the Swiss Chalet Bakery. Isn't it awesome to dine out in the open and watch the world go by?


After that, we went to the Weekend Farmer's Market -- one of those little things that excite me. There were a couple of vegetable, fruits, and flower stalls, a stall selling pickles, a cheese stall, a honey stall, some baked goods, and some meat. Oh, and a live indie band.

What giant tomatoes they have!
There is a Carlo's Bakery in Morristown, so we stopped by to get some seen-on-TV desserts. The Cake Boss wasn't there (nor were anyone resembling his large family) but the shop has a large selection of pastries. I have to honestly say, I do not like the famous Cannoli. However, the Hazlenut cream puff is absolutely heavenly!


Since it was a kick-back Sunday, we went grocery shopping (which made me all excited all over again. Do you know how awesome supermarkets are???) then got back in time to catch the World Cup Finals :) It was a long match and my jet lag caught up with me again. I fell asleep before they scored the goals! Can you believe it? 

That cool shot of Christ the Redeemer before the Final match. 

Luv's company also gave him an awesome Ford Fusion and we took a drive to Hoboken's Pier 13. It was a must-go for me because...food trucks!
Food trucks at Pier13 with Manhattan in the background.
Luke's Lobsters Lobster Roll for $15
My main purpose is to catch The French Quarter Food Truck to get a taste of creole cuisine - gumbo, jambalaya, beignets and such. Unfortunately, it was Manhattanhenge all over again! By the time we got there, it was sold out :( We ended up trying lobster roll from Luke's Lobsters and Thai food that wasn't really Thai. It wasn't so bad as we could have dinner outdoors again, overlooking a very grand view: the New York City skyline!



Tomorrow, THE Museum!!!

♥,

No comments:

Post a Comment