Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Tale of Abandonment: Part 1

Meet the poor thing, which spent almost half the night in the wet cold drain, abandoned by its mother right after it was born. It was mewing so pitifully, calling out "Mommy...mommy...don't leave me here." Gah. It was such a heartbreaking sound. But we didn't dare touch it, for fear if once our scents get onto it, its mother will abandon it for real.



I finally picked it up with some rags and put it in an empty tissue box. So that at least it's not that cold and wet.

Its mother didn't come. It's been more than twelve hours. A definite case of abandonment. The ants came. Those evil carnivorous ones. When I found it this morning there were a few of the ants biting the poor thing. They were attracted by the bloody thing which was attached to the poor thing by its umbilical cord.

I got rid of the ants, tied the cord and cut it; and decided to try giving it a chance to live. It's still called the poor thing because naming it would just make me more attached to it. If it survives, I'll name it Thing.

Now the poor thing is (I hope) warm and clean. I got it to consume a little bit of warm milk and got it to pee. Later when we have obtained syringes, I could feed it again.

*sigh* The poor thing.

*fingers crossed*

1 comment: