Monday, April 27, 2009

of investments and stuff

The current latest highlight of my life is heading over to banks to do 'competitive' investments.

Right. A complete warp from the typical "I saw monkeys" or "somebody's birthday" posts.

Basically, for last week and this week, it has been Amanah Saham this-and-that.

Amanah Saham Malaysia (ASM) opened 3.33 billion new units last week on the 20th of April, if I'm not wrong, and I got a call from the 'rents to go do some investment. So when I finally got the mood to drive myself to the bank to cash in a cheque, I asked them. Since the CIMB branch in campus is quite a small one, they told me to head over to their bigger branches in the city.

The thought of driving down to do bank-stuff in KK is equivalent to a nightmare. Just like every other banking district, one can imagine the parking chaos there. And perhaps the crowd.

So I took a stab and headed to the new CIMB branch in 1-Borneo instead. Which is practically next door and took me less than five minutes. I went up to the counter, asked them, and the nice friendly people gave me a form to fill in. It took me like 15 minutes to set up an ASM account and transfer my savings into it.

My 'rents back in Tanah Melayu had to battle crowds, waited the whole day and then return to the bank the next day to get theirs down.

Blessed is being over here :)

This week, Amanah Saham Wawasan 2020 (ASW 2020) opened one billion new units. So yours truly went to the bank today at 9am to do the same thing again.

ASW 2020 is a fixed priced unit trust open to all Malaysians aged six months and above, subject to a quota of 51% for bumiputras and 49% for non-bumiputras.

Only this time, I got rather worried as the line was really slow and I was thinking "crap...I'm sitting here waiting while maybe in other parts of the country, units are being snapped up". And there were 9 people before me in line. Good news is that, I got my ASW without much hassle, and so did the 'rents. Although, crowds waiting outside banks and all that seem like a common thing back over in TM.

Blessed is being over here :)

Where I didn't have to wait in line for 3.5 hours, or start queueing up at 4am. And from what I've read, the stress, the hassle and the disappointment of not getting any units.

Gah. This is boring. Cheers y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment